By Britney Wilkins
If you’re a history junkie, you surely know by now that the Internet is a great tool for finding information. But did you know that blogs are some of the most useful resources out there? Here you’ll find blogs about periods in history, genealogy, war, and lots more.
Read about specific periods, like the Victorian era and the American Revolution on these history blogs.
- Cardinal Wolsey’s Today in History: Read Cardinal Wolsey’s blog for thoughts on Tudor, medieval, and early-modern history.
- Victorian Times: Victorian Times highlights fashion and dresses in Civil War, Dickens, and Victorian style.
- Boston 1775: Read about the start of the American Revolution in Massachusetts on this blog.
- The Victorian Peeper: On the Victorian Peeper blog, you’ll read about nineteenth century Britain.
- Edwardian Promenade: This blog covers the Edwardian period, from about 1880 to 1914.
- The Victorian Era: Here you’ll read about fun facts from the 19th century.
These blogs highlight the history of fine art.
- Dracula vs. Eisenstein: This graphic design blog takes its inspiration from art history.
- Ponder & Dream: Ponder & Dream is all about graphic designs inspired from military history.
- Shorpy: This “100-year-old photo blog” highlights history in high resolution.
- The Philatelic Database: This blog offers a look at stamp archives.
- Food History: Learn about holiday customs and classic recipes on this foodie history blog.
- Cycling Art: This blog explores the history of cycling through art.
- Prima la Musica: Check out this blog to get the official word from Mozart.
Read these blogs if you’re interested in the Civil War, soldiers, and World Wars.
- Civil War History: Read Civil War History to learn about the Civil War, as well as new developments in Civil War history.
- Out of battle: Read anecdotes and articles about the first World War, specifically the 8th Battalion, AIF.
- Military History Blog: The Military History Blog blogs about the battlefield.
- Civil War Memory: Read what a high school history teacher and Civil War historian has to say.
- Old Virginia Blog: Richard Williams, Jr.’s blog is all about the Civil War.
- WW1: Experiences of an English Soldier: Read Harry Lamin’s letters from the first World War, posted exactly 90 years after they were written.
- Australian War Memorial: Learn about official records, animals in war, aircraft, and lots more in this Australian war blog.
- World War II History Blog: In this blog you’ll find news, photographs, “today in history,” and more.
- Frontier Battles: Frontier Battles is all about wars for and against empire in America from 1607 to 1815.
- Blog 4 History: Read about American and Civil War history on this blog about the American experience.
- American Civil War Stories: Revisit the stories of the American Civil War in this blog.
- 9th Btn Y & L War Diaries: Read the official war diary of the 9th Battalion of the York and Lancaster regiment.
- What Passing Bells: This blog follows three different families through the first World War.
- TOCWOC: The Order of Civial War Obsessively Compulsed is a blog about the civil war written by informed amateurs.
Day in History
These blogs offer a daily look at historical events and people.
- History’s Mysteries: This blog highlights deaths, presidencies, movies and more monuments from history.
- Inhistoric: Inhistoric explores sports history one day at a time.
- The Modern Historian: The Modern Historian’s blog offers a look at a day-to-day history around the world.
Read about historical churches and church history in these blogs.
- Looking at Sussex Churches: In this blog, you’ll find photos and history of Sussex churches.
- Church History: Read this blog to learn about the history of the Christian church.
These genealogy blogs share their family history and offer tips for researching your own.
- iPentimento: Read about the family history of William Livingston Holmes, the first sheriff of Clackamas County in Oregon Territory.
- Genea-Musings: Get tips, news, humor and more from this genealogy blog.
- Searching for Family Branches: This blog discusses the importance of genealogy and legacy.
- Know Your Family History: Check out this blog to get encouragement and tips for genealogy studies.
- Irish Roots Cafe: The Irish Roots Cafe is dedicated to Irish family history, genealogy, heritage, and more.
- A Somerset Family History: This researcher shares interesting findings from genealogy studies.
- Lord and Lady: Visit this blog to follow the blogger’s family genealogy and get access to a large name database.
Cities, Regions, and Countries
Check out these blogs that highlight a specific area of the world.
- The Bowery Boys: In this blog, the Bowery Boys will explore New York City history.
- Sparkletack: Sparkletack is a history podcast that celebrates San Francisco.
- US History Blog: Read American history thought from an independent scholar on this blog.
- Our Great Southern Land: The blog of Our Great Southern Land follows the history of Australia.
- History Rhymes: This blogger offers a discussion on American history.
- Appalachian History: Find stories, quotes, and anecdotes about Appalachia on this blog.
- Vanishing New York: Vanishing New York looks at pieces of New York City history that are slipping away today.
- Chicago History: This amateur historian and student shares her findings about Chicago history.
- The Virtual Dime Museum: This blog discusses Brooklyn and New York City history, including geneaology, pop culture, Victorian news items, and ephemera.
- Everest by climbers: Learn about Everest history from climbers and beyond on this blog.
- Kinetic Carnival: The Kinetic Carnival blog is all about the past, present, and future of Coney Island.
- Local History: This blog takes a look back at the local history of New York City.
- Lost City: Lost City investigates Old New York as it’s threatened by new development.
These blogs offer an academic look at history.
- History News Network: George Mason University’s History News Network shares breaking news about history.
- History is Elementary: Read about this elementary school teacher’s take on teaching history.
- Clio and Me: A teacher of European history and researcher of war and society in modern Germany, this blog’s writer has a lot to offer.
- The Bell Rang: The Bell Rang explores education throughout history.
- wig-wags: This blog is written by a graduate student in military history.
These antiques blogs will show you interesting items from the past.
- Dumpdiggers: See some of the items that history has left behind in this blog.
- Antiquarian’s Attic: Read about “forgotten curios and delights” on this blog.
- Modern Mechanix: On the Modern Mechanix blog, you’ll read spotlights about inventions of the past.
Learn about important female figures in history on these blogs.
- Women of History: Women of History is full of biographies of fascinating women from history.
- History of American Women: This blog discusses women in the colonies and beyond.
- Famiss: Famiss is all about women making and discovering history.
- Scandalous Women: The Scandalous Women blog highlights female figures from Boudicca to Mata Hari.
- This Intrepid Band: Read about women who served as military nurses from the Boer war to the end of the Great War.
- History and Women: On the History and Women blog, you’ll read about notorious women who have left their stamp on the world.
- Civil War Women: This blog features women who made an impact on the Civil War.
Read about entertainment through the years on these history blogs.
- Cartoon Brew: Cartoon Brew looks back at animations past.
- Living With Legends: Hotel Chelsea Blog: The Hotel Chelsea blog highlights events, ghosts, authors, and more from the hotel.
- The History Movies: This blog offers a look at movies and videos from the past.
These blogs take an in-depth look at specific people through history.
- The Abraham Lincoln Blog: Read this blog to learn about Abraham Lincoln’s life and legacy.
- American Presidents Blog: The American Presidents blog is all about presidents and first ladies.
- Beloved Eleanor: Beloved Eleanor highlights Eleanor of Castille, a medieval queen and wife of King Edward I of England.
- Tattered Fabric: Fall River’s Lizzie Borden: In this blog, you’ll read about Lizzie Borden’s life and crimes.
- Lincoln Studies: This blog offers a look at Lincoln and the American Civil War.
- What would Lincoln do?: This blogger considers how Lincoln would handle today’s world.
Odd & Interesting
If you’re interested in history that’s a little offbeat, check out these blogs.
- Damn Interesting: Damn Interesting often highlights unusual historical events.
- Vintage UFO: Read tales of UFOs and flying saucers past on this blog.
- CLEWS: Learn about historic true crime on this blog.
- So Soon No More: Find alternate history, sarcastic humor and more on this blog.
- Executed Today: In this blog, you’ll see who was executed today in history, and learn about their lives and how they came to be executed.
- Questionable History: Brittany’s blog about history highlights interesting facts and findings she’s come across in her quest for information.
- Obscure History: The Obscure History blog presents little known facts and events in history.
Documents & Literature
You’ll find literature, writings, drawings and more in these blogs.
- BibliOdyssey: BibliOdyssey explores historic books, writings, and drawings.
- Strange Maps: The Strange Maps blog highlights unique and interesting maps from today and yesterday.
- Civil War Literature: Read about books, autographs, and other writings from the Civil War in this blog.
Read these blogs to see a wide variety of highlights through history.
- The People History Blog: In The People History blog, you’ll read about stories that made the news each year.
- Informed Comment: Juan Cole’s blog is all about the Middle East, history, and religion.
- World History Blog: Check out the World History Blog to see lots of different aspects of world history.
- 101 Greatest Olympic Moments: Explore some of the most exciting times in modern sports history through this blog.
- His-Story: This blog highlights the important events in the history of the world, particularly Indian history.
- You’re History: This blog offers a friendly look at entertainment, events, and more in history.
- Mystic Chords of Memory: This history lover shares her photos and travels.
- My Adventures in History: Follow this blogger around as she explores adventure in history.
- The History Tavern: The History Tavern shares interesting stories and anecdotes from the past.
- Branding Fire: Branding Fire discusses both history and entrepreneurship.