Many museums have websites that highlight upcoming exhibitions, but some of them go the extra step by maintaining blogs that give visitors an inside look at what it takes to keep a museum going. From educational opportunities applicable to online college students to anecdotes discussing an artifact’s history, these art museum blogs are fantastic resources for those who want to get more out of their local art outlets. Take a look:
Northeastern United States
- Brooklyn Museum: This blog for the Brooklyn Museum discusses upcoming exhibits and events.
- Fogg Museum: This facility at the Harvard Art Museum features a variety of contemporary and classic art.
- Face to Face: The National Portrait Gallery, administered by the Smithsonian Institution, gets a close-up treatment with this helpful blog.
- George Eastman House: The Blog: The George Eastman House International Museum of Photography and Film, located in the former home of the man who founded Eastman Kodak Company, has one of the best collections of photographic art in the world. This blog is a wonderful way to learn about new works and discover when to visit.
- Science Museum of Long Island: Visitors to this New York museum should check out this blog for great stories about the artifacts on display.
- Eye Level: Another great blog from the Smithsonian group, this one focuses on their American Art Museum.
- Inside/Out: The Museum of Modern Art in New York City is one of the best museums in the country, and this blog is a great way to familiarize yourself with it.
- Fenimore Art Museum: Located in Cooperstown, New York, the Fenimore Art Museum boasts an impressive collection with a focus on cultural heritage.
- Art at the Katzen: This blog is run by Jack Rasmussen, the director and curator of the American University Museum at the Katzen Arts Center.
- Graphic Arts: This blog is devoted to showcasing the latest exhibitions from the Graphic Arts Collection at Princeton University Library.
Southern United States
- The Modern: This is the official blog for the Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth, Texas.
- Gibbes Museum Blog: This is the blog for South Carolina’s Gibbes Museum of Art.
- Amon Carter Museum: This is another Fort Worth blog, complete with historical information about the exhibits.
- Nasher Museum Blogs: A great round-up of news and analysis from the Duke University museum.
- University of Virginia Art Museum: UVA’s museum is easy to navigate with this behind-the-scenes blog.
- Untitled: It’s not a typo: This blog for the North Carolina Museum of Art really is called “Untitled.”
- The Southern Art Blog: This is the blog for the Morris Museum of Art, a Georgia museum that focuses on art from the South.
- Education at the O: A blog about learning opportunities at the Ogden Museum of Southern Art at the University of New Orleans.
- Dallas Museum of Art Educator Blog: A fantastic blog for educators looking for ways to get their students involved with the Dallas Museum of Art.
- The Asheville Art Museum Blog: Great posts and frequent use of video make this blog a wonderful resource for visitors to the Asheville Art Museum in North Carolina.
Midwestern United States
- Indianapolis Museum of Art: The IMA’s blog is a great way for visitors to interact with museum staff and give feedback on past and future exhibits.
- NIU Art Museum: The official blog for Northern Illinois University’s Art Museum in DeKalb.
- Blog @ The Nelson-Atkins: Kansas City’s Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art is a great resource for residents, and this blog has news and information about all the museum’s events.
- Art Matters: A simple but informative blog from the University of Iowa’s Museum of Art.
- Woodson Wanderings: The Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum is one of the best in Wisconsin, and this fun blog is filled with great anecdotes about what it takes to put an exhibition together.
- Art Institute of Chicago: A great way to keep up with the staff and community of Chicago’s fantastic Art Institute.
- 2 Buildings 1 Blog: This combo blog serves both the Pulitzer Foundation for the Arts and the Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis.
- What’s New at Minnetrista: This art and outdoor facility in Indiana keeps an updated blog with information about exhibits and visiting hours.
- The Cleveland Museum of Art: Find out about seasonal programs and special exhibits at the Cleveland Museum of Art.
- Chicago History Museum: This historical museum also features some wonderful works of art that reflect our changing society.
- Akron Art Museum Blog: A helpful rundown of events at Ohio’s Akron Art Museum.
Western United States
- Asian Art Museum Blog: This San Francisco museum is one of the biggest repositories of Asian art in the world.
- University of Wyoming Art Museum: This blog details exhibition information as well as facts about the school.
- Hammer News + Blogs: Part of UCLA, the Hammer Museum has a fantastic number of exhibits and artifacts, and you can learn about them via this official blog.
- Hi-Q-RT: Compound Gallery in Portland, Oregon, is a great place to see independent and nontraditional modern art, and this blog offers a great glimpse of life at the museum.
- The Iris: Subtitled “Views from the Getty,” this is the blog for California’s gorgeous Getty Museum.
- RAMBlog: Southern California’s Riverside Art Museum is one of the premiere art destinations for the Inland Empire, and you can find more info at this blog.
- Hank Blog: “Hank” is the nickname for the Henry Art Gallery, located at the University of Washington.
- SOAP: This is the blog for the Seattle Art Museum in Washington.
- Unframed: The Los Angeles County Museum of Art is a popular destination for residents and tourists alike, and this helpful blog offers interesting history about the pieces on display.
- FIDM: Museum and Galleries: This L.A. museum is dedicated to the art of design and textiles.
- ASU Art Museum Blog: The ASU Art Museum is part of the Herberger Institute for Design and the Arts at Arizona State University. This blog is run by staff and curators.
- Seattle Art Blog: This blog covers multiple museums and art centers throughout Seattle and western Washington.
- Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco: This informative blog covers two San Francisco outlets: the de Young and the Legion of Honor museums.
- National Museums Liverpool Blog: This blog is maintained by the staff at National Museums Liverpool and features tons of great links to local attractions.
- Behind the Scenes: The East Lothian Museums Blog: Another great blog about a British museum, full of history and information about various exhibits.
- The McMaster Museum of Art Blog: Canada’s McMaster University houses a great museum of art, and this blog is your ticket to learning all about it.
- Watts Gallery: Curator Mark Bills runs this blog about England’s Watts Gallery.
- Galt Museum & Archives Blog: This is the official blog for the Galt Museum, located in Alberta, Canada.
- Aberdeen Art Gallery & Museums: This Scotland museum has a host of blogs maintained by the curators, all of which make for excellent reads.